Monday, October 26, 2009

A Boy for MY Girl!

As you lie giving birth to a new life, I feel a multitude of emotions. Like fluttering colorful butterflies boldly entering a garden, my inner self is filled with nostalgia, memories, delight, ecstacy, concern but more powerfully, a feeling very seldom felt; of being touched.

Because only I know the purity of these emotions, their exclusivity, and their depth; I want to explore them, understand them and more importantly share them with you. As I sit praying that everything goes well, my eyes swell with tears. I return to the days of second grade where we shared mundane items like stickers, where the ULKER biscuits packed as a lunchable for you were something I searched your bag for everyday, where we loved playing 'teacher-teacher', where life was bland yet innocent.

I'm reminded of times and memories that I haven't visited in years; of high school, where each of us was learning the harsh, pointed realities of relationships, where maybe we were naive enough to let emotions control us, where we dived into emotions, drowned and learnt how to swim or stay on shore. I think you learnt to swim, but I was too affected by my experiences, I decided to stay on shore and avoid deep waters. There lay somewhere the seeds of the women we were going to become.

From being the butt of our jokes, which I can still laugh at (Kashmiri...), we graduated to foreign lands where the only thing familar and comforting was each other. Where we could talk, cry, laugh, discuss late into the night. We spent hours trying to make sense of our weird lives and complicated relationships; the craziness of which only we understood for each other since sane individuals would judge us. Life wasn't planned, we were impulsive. We could plan and book an entire trip within 2 nights, just to see each other. Rather to see the potential significant other of each other, we had to be sure they passed the test. We couldn't trust each other with just anyone.

My favorite memory of our times together was as 7 year olds, the joy we found in scaring birds away just so that we could throw their eggs down. It sounds so sadistic, but we were just confirming gravity:). The late night swim at your pool working out logistics of your wedding, our favorite arena.

Your most endearing quality was how you'd search anything and everything coming out of my mouth on the internet, I know that requires true love and patience. I just rememberd how you'd leech onto my unlimited NESMA internet connection, and how you wouldn't get off in time for my "dates".

We've matured, grown, and come a long way. Married, trying to comprehend the intricacies of creatures called "husbands", of smart ways to handle icky situations. Thank God, we constructed KP from years of research, and learning. It sure comes in handy.
You thought I would have forgotten the times and memories but I want you to know they lie deep within me in a very sacred and special place. That place you built by being a great friend, by never changing, by always trying, by seeing me through different storms and seasons, by always loving and giving unconditionally, by never giving up on my and our friendship.Maybe that is exactly why you have the power to stir such emotions in a "me" that has become very stoic.

I hear from reliable sources that in the state of unconsciousness, you were saying my name. It's only one of the many reminders of how much I still mean to you despite the distances, through the years and seasons of life. I wish I was there to see my second grader friend give birth. It feels incomplete and disloyal sitting so far away.

But, as you enter this new era of your life, I want you to know that just like everything else from stickers to marriage, this one too, we'll share together. We'll show each other the beautiful even when it's ugly, we'll construct new chapters for KP, we'll add to our rich heritage.
It's 1 AM, my nephew is only a few hours old and since I can't do anything else, I wanted to pay tribute to his mother who has been and will rightfully always be my best friend.

Congratulations! I'm sooo happy for you!
Another boy to educate, clean after, and handle...:)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home